Where will agriculture take you?

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Packing List Tips (From an former over packer!)

My freshman year at FFA camp was full of many life lessons. One of which included learning how to pack efficiently. This lesson was learned as my chapter boarded the bus to Camp Rising Sun. I was struggling with my suitcase so my advisor, Mr. Henderson, offered to help me load it onto the bus. 

Well Mr. Henderson didn't realize I had slightly over done it on my packing. I took his "suggested packing list" a little too seriously. My 7 pairs of shoes, two beach bags and travel fan were probably slightly unnecessary items in hindsight. He claimed my luggage strained a muscle in his back. Since then, I have reformed my ways. 

During my senior year of high school, I brought one carryon small suitcase for a two week trip to Hawaii. I may not have perfected the art of packing, but that one carryon was a milestone for this former over packer.

But, packing for trips can still be tricky. Do you ever wonder what on earth to pack when you travel? Weekend getaways, months abroad, camp outs or an annual conference... it seems like a traveling experience is always just around the corner!  While you will need different items for your dream vacation to Europe verses a family trip to the lake, I created a general packing list I always look over before I pack my bags.

My go-to items have been determined after numerous "interesting" travel experiences. Some things I had simply never thought of to pack before. (Like what countries don't use wash clothes? South American ones!) Others, I always seemed to have had to borrow or do without. (I really dislike paying inflated prices for tourist trap necessities!) 

I have learned you never want to be without a bath poof in the jungles of Costa Rica, forget your contact case one two many times or be in the Atlanta airport in Georgia with an overpacked bag of shoes! Here is what this Traveling Aggie always has in her suitcase: 

     Necessities
   Body wash
   Face wash
   Moisturizer
     Lotion    
     Makeup bag
   Tweezers/fingernail clippers
   Bath poof & wash clothe
   Toilet paper & Kleenexes
     Hand sanitizer
       Perfume
   Deodorant
   Shaving cream & razor
   Tooth brush & tooth paste
   Contact solution, extra contact & case
   Glasses & case

    Hair Products
   Shampoo
   Condition
   Anti frizz product
   Straightening serum
   Hair spray
   Flat iron
   Blow dryer
   Curling iron
   Teasing comb & brush
    Hair ties, headbands & bobby pins        
                 
     Misc.
   Alarm clock
   Picture of family/pets  
   Dryer sheets
   Zip lock bags & Wal-Mart sacks  
   Bug spray
   Chapstick
   Hangers
   Clothes pins & safety pins
   Scissors
   Q tips
   Umbrella/poncho
   Flashlight
   Notebook/pen
   Business cards
   Address book/stamps/envelopes
     Sunglasses
    
     Medicines
   Tums
   Tylenol
   Vitamins
   Neosporin & band aids
   Motion sickness medicine

     For the Plane
   Language dictionary 
   Book/magazine (throw away)
   Granola bars/100 calorie packs
   Water bottle (fill up in airport)
   Light jacket & socks

     Important Items
   Passport & photo copy
   Drivers license
   Debit card  & cash
   Vaccine record copy

     Clothing
   Casual t-shirts
   Athletic shorts
   Nikes
   PJs
   Sweat pants
   Hoodie
   Fleece jacket
   Suite
   Dressy tops
   Dress pants
   Dresses
   Cardigans
   Heels/flats/Sperry’s
   Jeans
   Shorts
   Cropped pants
   Work boots/rain boots
   Short socks & tube socks
   Undies
   Gloves/ear warmer/scarf
   Trenchcoat
   Belts
   Jewelry

     Baggage
   Purse: crossover & tote
   Backpack & duffle   
   Beach bag
   Large suitcase

     Electronics
   Camera & charger
   Extra memory card
   Laptop & charger & bag
   Cell & charger & headphones
   Converter
   GPS
   Batteries
   Extension cord 

No comments:

Post a Comment