Where will agriculture take you?

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ag Media Summit



Courtney and I at the KCI Airport ready to fly to Denver then Albuquerque. This was courtney's second time flying, so I had fun showing her the ropes! 

It’s amazing how a thing as simple as a phone call can present new opportunities. A few weeks ago, my friend Courtney, a fellow MU Science and Agricultural Journalism student, called me up and offered me the chance to go to New Mexico. Needless to say, I was so excited I almost dropped my phone!

Courtney would be traveling to then national Ag Media Summit in New Mexico, as part of her summer internship with Cummins Consulting. Cummins Consulting LLC is operated by another MU Ag J alumni and often hires students to assist with organizing the American Agricultural Educators Awards ceremony and complete other organizational aspects of AMS.

At the AMS Welcome booth!
The other intern was unable to attend, therefore Courtney recommended me as a substitute. After a few emails to her employer and my academic adviser, I found myself booking a plane ticket to the southwest! Thankfully my internship allowed me to take few days off and my bags were soon packed for Ag Media Summit in Albuquerque, New Mexico!

I had heard of AMS before Courtney’s phone call during the school year at a Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow meeting. Several of the club officers had attended before and greatly enjoyed the experience. Our university has even had several past national ACT officers, who are elected at AMS.

I had really wanted to go to this year’s AMS, especially since it was in a state I had never been too. But, I did not know if I could justify the price of a plane ticket, registration and hotel fees when I had an internship commitment.

However, fate turned the tides and I was able to attend AMS through an internship with Cummins Consulting. I am so glad I have such great friends and advisors in my life who think about me when opportunities arise. And it’s a good thing I never ignore a phone call!

These Missouri galls are in New Mexico... hello to the Southwest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment