Where will agriculture take you?

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Welcome to North Carolina

When I first learned summer Ambassador training would be held in North Carolina by heart fluttered. Not only because I would be visiting a new state (which is always an exciting moment!) but because North Carolina is the home of Nicholas Sparks. I am an avid reader and he is one of my favorite authors.

In preparation for my adventure in North Carolina, I purchased Sparks's latest novel, The Best of Me. I was reading it as my plane departed Kansas City and was still engrossed in it when I landed in Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina. During my layover I learned the proper pronunciation of local cities (my Midwestern accent varied from the Southern drawl I encountered there!) It was great to visit the setting of several of Sparks's novels. 

Last spring, I went to South Carolina on a road trip with my friends. I am still very much in love with the Carolinas, and yes, Nicholas Sparks as well. But, it was great to visit North Carolina on an agriculture experience. I always find it fascinating to explore different state's agriculture sectors.  Missouri is a row crop and livestock dominated state.  I always catch myself looking for corn fields and cattle pastures when I am in a new place. North Carolina was home to cotton fields, tobacco crops, peanut plants and peach orchards. 

Peaches are one  of my favorite fruits. My favorite way to eat them is straight off the tree! As Ambassadors, we were able to tour the facilities of our sponsor companies. BASF staff took us out for a tour of their peach orchards. One of the highlights of my trip was being able to pick peaches with my Ambassador team! Only seeing Nicholas Sparks could have completed the trip. 


Proudly wearing our BASF hats!

Being an Ag Ambassador has allowed me to meet a great friend, Kylah!

Our team had the opportunity to tour the BASF peach orchard. 

Picking peaches with some great galls! 

Fresh peaches- yum! 

Melissa and I discovered our love for fruit, and we are both midwest natives! She attends the University of Nebraska. 

No comments:

Post a Comment