Where will agriculture take you?

Monday, June 25, 2012

Schurz Dorm Reunion

I have often been told that the friends you make in college will go on to be your co-workers, neighbors and bridesmaids. Well, after one year at Mizzou I am pretty sure my future wedding party has doubled in size! When I entered my dorm, Schurz Hall, for the first time for move in day, I kept running into familiar faces. It seems as though everyone I had met in FFA went on to attend MU and roomed in good ole' Schurz. 

Maybe it was chance or fate, but college allowed me to not only form new friendships but to allow others to grow. Individuals whom I had connected with at leadership events but that lived hours away were now only a door down or hallway over. I blame the magic of MU campus. 

It was not long before I had found my niche group on campus with fellow agriculture majors like myself. We were girls who originated from farms in small towns, we graduated in classes with less than 100 students and we were usually the only people from our high schools to attend MU. Everyone one of us has big dreams and we are all hard workers dedicated to seeing them fulfilled. Some of us had even been competitors in 4-H and FFA but we discovered what made us so competitive was similarities. 

Our similarities extended to our majors and class schedules. We not only shared the same agriculture economics class that every CAFNR freshman finds themselves in, but we bonded. We would eat lunch together, going on shopping trips, get ready for big Friday nights and of course making late night Walmart runs.  As friends we were there to celebrate in each other's accomplishments and to be the a helping hand in times of need, from relationships to family crises. Together, our group experienced the joys of winning awards, the thrill of taking a trip and the anxiety and worry that freshman year brings.

With similar degrees we were also in clubs and organization together and often group project partners. Having such close friendships made the transition from high school to college much easier. From the hallways of Schurz to the countryside of Shelbina, Missouri you never know where we will end up! 

All of us cleared our calendars for a weekend campout at our friend Kathryn Coon's farm last weekend. It was a chance for us to catch up and take a break from summer jobs, classes and internships. We told of our adventures, the hopes for sophomore year and spent some quality time in the country. I couldn't have asked for more. 

Taking a tour of Coon Angus Farm! 

Of course we could not miss a hay bale photo opportunity. 

Just a bunch of country girls! 

Thank you to Megan Couch for editing the photos! We had an excellent weekend get together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment