Where will agriculture take you?

Monday, June 25, 2012

Back In 2010...

"We are time's subjects, and time bids be gone." ~William Shakespeare 


Even though I am only 19 years young I have found that the most valuable aspect of life is time.  As each birthday passes and year goes by I find myself reminiscing more often. To be fair, I am always the one photographing every moment of a trip and usually the first person to begin the "remember when..." conversations in any group setting. I live for reunions. They remind my of happy times in the past and the glorious moments the future will bring. 


One of the most joyful summers of my life was the summer of 2010. It was an epic 3 months, the time frame between my junior and senior year of high school. I was 17, with a driver's license and cute silver car (which I still have, minus several fender benders!)


Even though I could drive that summer, I was not behind the steering wheel very much. In fact, as my agriculture instructor, Mr. Henderson said, "Breanne, I'm not even going to try to call you this summer to check on your FFA projects because I'm not going to even know what time zone you are in." 


You see, I was a lucky individual that summer. I won an essay contest to Washington D.C., was selected to attend the Missouri Girl's State, served as a delegate to 4-H State Conference, attended my last 4-H Equine Tour in Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska, qualified for FBLA nationals in Nashville, Tennessee and went our nation's capital (again) for the FFA Washington Leadership Conference. In addition to my family's annual vacation, a few camps here and there and a concert at the Missouri State Fair. 


In May I realized the hard work and stress of my junior year had paid off. Literally. I won several essay contests which allowed me to save money for future travel adventures. I had survived dual enrollment math and science courses and had won the trips I had applied for. In all, it was destined to be a hectic summer.  


Looking back, it was also my last summer of my youth. This was before summer college classes, full time jobs and major life commitments. It would also be my last summer of livestock shows and leadership conferences. That's one thing a miss about aging, giving up showing my animals. 


However, I believe I lived life to the fullest the summer of 2010. I did have to give up certain opportunities such as showing livestock in order to take advantage of other opportunities. I visited Washington D.C. for my first time- twice that year. My passion for politics was ignited at Missouri Girls State where I was elected as Mayor of Blair City and campaigned for Secretary of State. I visited Nashville for the first time and have since returned! I experienced the National FBLA conference for my second time, and was proud to have qualified two out of four years as an FBLA member. I attended my last 4-H Equine tour. This 4-H experience took me to nine states over the course of four summers. This experience allowed me to meet my best friend whom I still keep in contact with daily, though she lives halfway across the state. 


2010 may have been in the last decade and I may have left high school behind me, but I find the friendships and experiences I encountered that summer have lasted a lifetime. I met more friends in that summer than I had probably encourtered in my life prior. Thanks to Facebook and the internet, I still keep in contact with individuals who live across the country. It was pretty much a summer out of a story book... full of adventure, travel and friendships. 


Somedays I find myself looking through a scrapbook or Facebook photo albulm. Somehow I always turn back to the summer of 2010. 


The entire Missouri Girls State populace of Blair City. The girls elected me as mayor the first day at MGS. To this day, I will still find myself hearing "Mayor Bre" yelled across the Quad at MU. MGS girls show up everywhere. 



At the Washington Youth Tour I met new faces and old. Eight individuals I had met at the Missouri Agribusiness Academy two summers ago. The people I met here went on to go to colleges throughout the U.S. and lead amazing lives. We also had some of the most intellectual conversations I believe high schools have ever experienced! 
The other delegate from my region, Drew Jones, and I at the day of congressional visits. 

Enjoying the sights and monuments of D.C.



By the Colorado mountainside. 


This photo from the fourth annual 4-H Equine Tour ended up being a feature in the Missouri 4-H news publication. 

There were many tears shed the final night of the Equine Tour. For some of us, we had spent a week of every summer of high school together bonding over horses, 4-H and travel. It was truly a once in a lifetime adventure. Four years of love. 



Night out in Nashville during the Future Business Leaders of America national leadership conference! 


High school friends and I in Nashville.


You will notice different towns on each of the jackets in this picture. One of the great aspects of FFA, knowing where your new friends are from at all times!


WLC was also a time for reflection. 

I still keep in contact with Ashley and James from Florida to this day. WLC was one of my favorite FFA experiences. 







No comments:

Post a Comment