Where will agriculture take you?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Where's the Washcloths?

The “culture shock” set in during our first night in Costa Rica. After a long day of touring, the program participants and I headed to our bunkhouse to get ready for the night. However, as I looked into the shower I noticed a major missing element; washcloths. After conversing with our translator as to why we were lacking washcloths I discovered that in Costa Rican culture they are simply not used.  Luckily our translator, Amy, managed to find several dish clothes for the students to use.

As the study abroad trip progressed I discovered other cultural differences. In Costa Rica you eat rice and beans. For breakfast, lunch and dinner. They will end up on your plate, so be ready. When you are walking down the street, as a pedestrian you lack the right of way. If you don’t move you might just get run over. When you enter a room be sure to greet everyone. It’s actually not rude to interrupt a conversation to do so. (It took me several times to become accustomed to this habit, as interrupting others is considered rude in America.)

 Know that there will be a language barrier, but trying earns you brownie points. Several tour guides either liked me or took pity on me for attempting to converse with them. I think I got my message across, but making an effort always helps. Then there is the currency. It looks nothing like U.S dollars but roughly 500 colonials equals 1 American dollar. I learned to bring a calculator and discovered it was okay to bargain.

If you thought Missouri roads were bad, take a ride in the back of a van on a dirt road. You learn to appreciate your own country’s facilities when you experience other countries. The roads are extremely bumpy and have sharp curves around every corner so buckle up! And finally, whatever you do, don’t flush your toilet paper. The sewage systems of Costa Rica are similar to many of our rural facilities. Do not worry, there are signs on every bathroom door in case you forget!

Traveling is a new experience, especially abroad and there are many valuable lessons to learn. Within my first days outside of the U.S. boarder I have gained a greater understanding of another culture and respect of a different way of life. I hope to continue to learn about the history of Costa Rica, there people and the rich culture that makes this country truly unique.  Oh and do not be afraid to ask for help, because you just might walk into a shower and realize no one uses washcloths but you.
The view from our bunk house. Welcome to paradise! 

Our first meal out on the town. A typical Costa Rican menu.  

Signs are everywhere. 

A typical Costa Rican lunch complete with rice, chicken, beans and vegetables.  

No comments:

Post a Comment