Where will agriculture take you?

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Say What?

It has been two years since my high school Spanish classes. Therefore, coming to Costa Rica, a predominately Spanish speaking country, I knew that I would have to adjust to the language barrier. I faithfully studied my Spanish dictionary before my trip but reading and speaking a foreign language are two different things! I found it interesting to see common signs in Spanish throughout Costa Rica because I was used to the English signs. The street signs were simply another example of the adjustments you make in foreign country. Also, you do not find many "beware of monkeys" or "turtle crossing" signs in our country. 
Luckily, common signs like yield and stop signs were the same shape in Costa Rica as they are in the U.S. 

One day we hiked on a volcano path and there were many signs telling us how close we were to the volcanic activity. 

This was one "hot" hot spring!

You do not find many ocean current warning signs in Missouri. 

Miles is not the common vehicle distance measurement in Costa Rica, or in any country other than the U.S. When we asked "are we there yet?" our guide always told us "just a few more kilometers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment