Where will agriculture take you?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Costa Rican Cuisine

Breakfast: be prepared for lots of fruit.  I am addicted to fresh pineapple! 

Expect rice and beans at every meal. (This includes breakfast. )

Fresh fruit juice is also served at every meal. It is made of the extract of a fruit with sugar and water. It contains less sugar than typical American fruit juices and is a great treat with all meals. To date I have had: blackberry (above), pear, orange, peach, watermelon and pineapple.

Pasta! This was one of my favorite dishes. It resembled American spaghetti but had a special Costa Rican spice to it. 

Chicken, or "pollo" in Spanish, is also a common meal. Again, with the rice and beans. 

This wrap was filled with beef and peppers, with a side of salad. 

Dessert, my favorite meal, was no disappointment in Costa Rica. This chocolate-goodness was a brownie confection topped with raspberry sauce. Simply amazing. 

Fresh granola was another common breakfast menu item. I liked to eat it with a side of banana, which was freshly purchased from the local farmers market. The milk on the granola was also produced at the local dairy farm we visited. 

Flan in Costa Rica varied from the American Flan I have tried before. It had an excellent texture and rich flavor. 

After craving some guacamole dip, I finally found some at a local resturant. With fresh avocados everywhere, it was nice to find some dip!

Fried plantains, scrambled eggs and homemade tortilla shells combine to make my favorite Costa Rican breakfast. The plantains are similar to the bananas we know but I believe they are slightly sweeter. This meal will be sure to jump start your day!

Lasagna anyone? This beautiful dish was filled with veggies, ham and fresh pasta. I always enjoy a plate of pasta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment