Where will agriculture take you?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#AgAmbassador

It is hard to believe that my year as a National Collegiate Agriculture Ambassador is drawing to a close. It's been quite the adventure! Being a part of this program has been one of my favorite collegiate experiences hands down. The people I have met, including Ambassadors and FFA staff, are pretty amazing. I even met one of my best friends, Kylah Reynalds, who hails from Oregon. We may never have crossed paths if not for this program! 

One of my final presentations was during the Missouri State FFA Convention. My workshop reached
more than 150 FFA members. I cannot express how excited I was to speak at Convention- I felt so honored to be asked to present a workshop. (I could hardly sleep the night before and arrived an hour early to my assigned room!) The title of my talk was "#AgIssues" and I discussed current threats, trends and opportunities in agriculture. Through interactive activities students had the chance to relate issues to social media. I stressed the importance of being an AGvocate and how it is important to tell your personal story in agriculture to combat industry threats. Personally, I had a blast and I even created my first Prezi with no technical errors!

My remaining presentation schedule includes a civic group and collegiate club to conclude my 30 Ambassador hours. I am greatly looking forward to presenting "Collegiate FFA Opportunities" to the MU Ag Systems Management club as they are quite the crowd! I enjoy every opportunity to speak to groups regarding agriculture. Being an Ambassador was the highlight of my sophomore year. 

I believe it is essential to bring awareness to our industry and make our way of life relatable. Not everyone will be a farmer in their life but everyone will need a farmer at some point. That's what motivates me; the farmers. People like my Poppie Brammer work hard to provide food for our country. They wake up at the crack of dawn, feed livestock in the bitter cold and harvest crops in the sizzling heat. And they do not complain. (Does the "So God Made a Farmer" commercial ring a bell?)

Yet, sometimes we as citizens forget how much needed producers are and we do not realize the issues facing agriculture. Even if we are involved in the industry or have been raised in a farming household we should strive to be continual learners and be prepared to all serve as an ambassadors. You do not need a fancy title or matching polo to spread agricultural awareness. All you need is a message. 

Setting up for workshop #1!

Students created Twitter hashtags about agriculture industry issues.

Having a "teaching moment" during my #AgIssues Prezi. 

During another activity students worked in groups to brainstorm agriculture related songs. 

My cousin, Jesse Poisal, attended my workshop. It was great to see her! 


No comments:

Post a Comment