Where will agriculture take you?

Sunday, April 14, 2013

AFA Campus Ambassador

"If you actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
 ~John Quincy Adams

In life, I have been blessed with many leadership opportunities. I have attended conferences across the nation since high school, heard countless motivational speeches (some speakers more than once) and
have been told more times than I care to count how it is up to me to make a difference. I truly hope to leave my mark on the world, after all is that not what we all want?

One colligate experience that has impacted my life in more ways than I could have ever imagined is Agriculture Future of America. I was recently selected to serve as a 2013 AFA Campus Ambassador. In this position I am the liaison between the University of Missouri and AFA. I work to promote AFA Leaders Conference and institutes, grow industry partnerships and spread the message about AFA.

There are four tracks to Leaders Conference and during the fall I attended track 2 as a sophomore. Last summer I was the AFA communications and marketing intern which provided me with an academic scholarship. I have also attended the Animal Institute where I had the opportunity to learn about the midwest animal health industry. Overall, the organization has been pretty amazing to me and I want collegians to recognize the opportunities AFA holds.

This year's AFA advisory team met for our first meeting in Kansas City. We got to know our teammates and formulated goals for the impending year. We meet again in St. Louis during August to gear up for exciting Leaders Conference preparation. I enjoyed the energy and passion displayed at our meeting. It was wonderful to see old faces and to make new friends. For some ambassadors this was their first trip to Missouri and I know the show me state treated them well!

In between planning and photo shoots our team formulated goals for the impending year. I am excited to meet with MU faculty and students to share AFA's message. AFA is an opportunity for collegians to bridge the gap between high school and the workforce. It allows students to gain internships and make invaluable industry connections to influence careers. The networking done at AFA events is crucial to formulating not only lifelong relationships but to impacting life beyond college. Apply to the Leader's Conference today!

Maggie Joe Pruitt and I at dinner after our ambassador photo shoot. She hails from the University of Arkansas and we first met at last AFA Conference during a sponsor breakfast. 

Wesley Davis, West Virginia's National FFA Officer candidate. I told him that if he obtains office he owes me an autograph with this picture! 

It seems like I was just going on Spring Break with this lady! 

I absolutely love meeting new amazing people like these ladies at leadership events. I cannot wait to work with them in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment