Where will agriculture take you?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Convention "First"

Blue corduroy jackets descended upon Columbia for the 86th Missouri State FFA Convention. In high school this time of year was the most stressful but also the most exciting. I knew I would see my friends from across the state at the Hearns Center. (In between contests and courtesy corp duties of course!) I qualified to state each year and had the honor of ranking gold in horse judging evaluation, being on stage for public speaking awards and winning two area proficiencies.

Through my years in FFA I have served many roles; contest team member, public speaker, officer, camper, National Convention delegate... you get the picture; I love FFA. The organization has offered me countless opportunities. I credit FFA and my first advisor, Mrs. Rogers, for developing my potential and giving me the foundation for future success.

Now, as a collegian I find myself having a different role at Convention. I worked in the media room creating press releases for Missouri FFA and recruited students to MU clubs at the career fair. And, I was very blessed to be asked to conduct a workshop for National Collegiate Agriculture Ambassadors. The tables had definitely turned as I was used to being the student verses the presenter! (I felt pretty old when I got mistaken for an agricultural advisor and a mom all in the same day.)

There were many highlights to this year's convention. Being a presenter was pretty awesome- I had the chance to share my message with more than 150 FFAers about issues facing the agriuclure industry. But, the people are what make Convention truly memorable. This year I got to see my best friend, Sonja Perry, retire as a Missouri State FFA secretary. Her passion for agriculture and dedication to FFA is simply unmatched. She has inspired me in more ways than I can count and I shed tears as she retired her jacket on stage.

I also got to see my little brother, Dane, as he had qualified for a second year to state. Dane was the high individual on the Gallatin agronomy team and is one of 30 high school sophomores selected to attend the Missouri Agribusiness Academy this summer. It seems like just yesterday I was on the MABA bus in Jefferson City to have the time of my life touring St. Louis agribusinesses.

You just never know who you will run into at Convention. While I was cheering on this year's state officer team, I saw my mentor and former superintendent Mr. Croy. Also, my past advisors Mrs. Rogers and Mr. Henderson were in attendance in addition to numerous advisors and friends I have met through the years. If I could say one thing to a current FFA member it is this; enjoy your time in the blue jacket. The official dress may get a little scratchy, you may get tired of studying for your contest team or you may be in a hurry to grow up but don't. Enjoy the moment.


Megan LaManna and I recruit ACT members at the Career Fair. 

"Arrrg... Join CAFNR Student Council!" Mat Jeffers, Maggie Hardwick and I assisted with the adventure themed booth. 

So proud of my little brother, Dane Brammer, who is one of 30 sophomores selected to attend the Missouri Agribusiness Academy. Glad you are following in my footsteps as a MABA alumni! 

FFA is a family tradition for the Brammers! Dane is a current member, Celia teaches agricultural education and I am a collegiate member so we represent all FFA areas. 

The Gallatin FFA Chapter had TWO state proficiency winners this year. Congratulations Megan Beck, we have come a long way from our days showing horses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment