Where will agriculture take you?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Florida Winter Ag Ambassador Training

2012-2013 National Collegiate Agriculture Ambassadors hit the beach in Florida! 

Two of my favorite aspects of life include beaches and agriculture. So any chance to combine the two is an automatic win for me. Luckily, the National FFA Organization decided to host winter National Collegiate Agriculture Ambassador training in Florida this year! This midwest girl packed her bags, flip flops included, and hopped onto an airplane headed south. It was wonderful to spend a week in the sunshine with fellow Ambassadors. 

Even though I can only see many of the 20 collegiate ambassadors during our two yearly trainings, I formulated close bonds with them. The Ambassador program was created through the National FFA Organization and offered me an opportunity to conduct agriculture presentations and to represent FFA for one year. I had the opportunity to know FFA staff members well! I have never found a more supportive, organized or fun group of ladies. They really look after you when you're a frantic college student.
At training, we all got caught up with each others lives. We had Ambassadors who studied abraod for a semester in Belize, took part in state university exchange programs, gained amazing internships and had too many once-in-a-lifetime experiences to count. I firmly believe the individuals I met have the power to change the world and positively impact our industry.  

Our sessions consisted of exploring current industry issues, meeting with program sponsors, team building strategies and presentation formulation. Basically, it was awesome. The highlight of my training was meeting with my "blogging idols." (Yes I'm always a sucker for the beach BUT this was even cooler.)  I have looked up to Troy and Stacy Hadrick since I was a freshman writing speeches in my Agricultural Sciences I class. 

I remember siting in the agriculture office when Mrs. Rogers, my agriculture instructor, told me to look up the blog Advocates for Agriculture. I remember thinking 1. what is a blog, and 2. this looks neat! Basically, Tory and Stacy are a farming couple from North Dakota who write about their personal experiences to spread the story of agriculture. They were targeted by an anti-agriculure article in the New York Times and decided to fight back, by telling THEIR side of the story. These two are honest, hard working cattle producers, committed to agriculture. So meeting them was pretty awesome. Oh and I got a picture!     

Yet, all good things must come to an end. At the close of training I shed several tears saying good bye to my fellow Agriculture Ambassadors. Being a part of this program has been one of the best experiences I have ever had! But, it's still ongoing because there are many presentations still left to complete and many opportunities to spread the message of agriculture. 


Representing Missouri as a 2012-2013 National Collegiate Agriculture Ambassador
at winter training in Jacksonville, Florida.

During training I got to meet my agriculture 
bloggers, Troy and Stacy Hadrick. 


Winter break 2012! 


Enjoying an afternoon on the beach in Jacksonville, Florida. 

Representing the Midwest, myself and Melissa Keyes from Nebraska. 
This was her first time seeing the ocean! 

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net forever"
~Jaques Cousteau

This view brought back memories of Spring Break at Myrtle Beach. 

The 2012-2013 Agriculture Ambassador team left our mark on Florida. 


Kylah Reynolds, Oregon Agriculture Ambassador, and I became close through our year 
as Ambassadors as we share a love for adventure and travel. I will treasure the bedazzled B she gave me in the Ambassador gift exchange... she knows me so well! 

"Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting." 
~ J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment