Where will agriculture take you?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Exploring the Southwest

My week-long visit to Texas and Mexico offered me not only a chance to escape the Missouri cold, but to try to new experiences! From riding my first three-wheeled bicycle to eating a Wataburger, this vacation offered me plenty of first opportunities. But, eating pineapple from the self-procalimed Texan "pineapple king" was one of my more memorable experiences. And, it just so happens pineapple is one of my favorite fresh fruits! 

I learned about south Texas agriculture first-hand. My grandfather, Poppie, has been farming in Missouri for decades. During his time in Texas he had learned a lot about Texan agriculture. Grape fruit, sugar cane, cabbage and carrot crops were abundant during my visit. I had never seen sugar cane sold by the stalk in grocery stores before this trip! I also went to a store where clothing was sold by the pound. No, I did not find any bargains there but, as Poppie said, "You sure don't see that in Missouri!" 

I loved the palm trees. There are so many species of palms that whatever warm climate you visit you are practically guaranteed to see different varieties. There was even a old palm tree plantation near my grandparents RV park, where they live during the winter months. From finding bargains in the Mexican markets to walking on the beach of South Padre Island, this vacation was full of firsts! 

Meeting the self-proclaimed "Pineapple King" of El Paso.

Want to find a bargin outfit? Visit this local store 
where you select your clothing from piles and pay
by the pound! 


Eating my first Wataburger... it was delicious! 

Spotted: A bird-of-paradise flower in the wild.
My time in Floral Design class paid off!

Dipping my feet in the Texas Gulf at South Padre Island! 


Everything is bigger in Texas, including the produce.

Palm trees just make me smile. 

Poppie and I represent MU at his RV park while on vacation! 

Sugar cane crop. It will reach over 10 feet tall! 

Three-wheeled bikes are all the rage at the RV park, 
luckily one of Poppie's friends offered to help me learn the ropes. 
(Notice I am wearing my new Padre sweater!) 

Handpicking and processing cabbages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment