Where will agriculture take you?

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Missouri FFA Convention

The 82nd Missouri State FFA Convention was held this weekend in my new home of Columbia, Mo. This was the first time that I attended the event without my blue corduroy jacket. It is surreal to think I am now FFA alumni. I am still a part of the National FFA Origination through Mizzou FFA, but despite that I felt a keen loss at convention.

Even though I was not competing on a contest team, giving a speech or receiving an award, as I have in years past, I was still serving a purpose. I had the opportunity to represent CAFNR and MU at the FFA career fair. Here, I networked with future students and show cased the opportunities that MU offers. As a member of Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow, our organization held a booth during the fair and I assisted in recruitment efforts. 

For the past four years I had visited Columbia as an FFA member and prospective student. Now, I am proud to call Columbia and MU my home. When blue and gold flood Columbia, I am glad that FFA members are having an opportunity to visit MU and represent their organization. From freshman at their first convention to seniors at their last, students can always call Columbia home, even when they leave their official dress behind. 

My "little" brother Dane and I got to catch up when he stopped by the MU Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow booth. He qualified to state in poultry judging and I was grateful for the chance to see him, and several of my other family members who are involved with FFA. 

I believe you should surround yourself with positive people who you want to be like. I could not ask for better friends who embody the true defining of a leader. We all volunteered at the MU booths, and took a moment to take a picture with our favorite mascot, Truman. 

Sonja Perry, my best friend, was selected as the 2012-2015 Missouri FFA Secretary. She will do an amazing job representing her area and the sate of Missouri this upcoming year. Sonja is also Mizzou bound this fall. Go tigers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment