Where will agriculture take you?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sweet Summertime

Hello from Brammer Farms! After finishing finals, saying goodbyes to friends and moving out of my dorm (yes I will miss Schurz Hall) I find myself enjoying a few peaceful days of summer on the farm.  I cherish the moments I spend here more than ever. My Corgi, Teddy, is my constant companion. He's with me when I bake, watch Lifetime marathons, craft and catch up on the free reading I missed when I was studying for finals.

Many summers of my life have been spent at livestock shows, summer camps, family vacations and at the country club. Each summer holds a different memory. Last summer, I took college courses at North Central Missouri College and worked as a Sonic Car Hop. I continued to show my cattle and horses, this will be the first time I have not shown since I was 10 years old. Some summers I would even say I lived in the horse arena. I begged my parents to take me to every county fair in the area.

Every year our family would go to a different state for vacation. We have visited every state in the midwest region. Weekend trips to the lake filled with tubing and fishing were also common. Camping is still one of my favorite activities today! The summer I turned 16 was one of the most memorable. It seemed like I went to every leadership opportunity. Every week of the summer I was gone to a camp or on a trip.

But this summer will be different. Soon, I will be departing on a plane bound for Asia and then will live in Kansas City for my summer internship. Gone are the days of high school jobs, county fairs and relaxing with friends. I am excited for the opportunities I have been presented with but change always brings anticipation.

If there is one thing constant in life; it is the passage of time. Sitting here in a hammock on my farm, the world seems to slow down a bit. Life is peacful. Being surrounded by green pastures and red barns reminds me of 18 summers spent in bliss. I trust the impending summer will hold just as many memories and be a different kind of wonderful.

I came home to a surprise on the farm, a new bottle calf!

No comments:

Post a Comment