Where will agriculture take you?

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time Flies: A Reflection

Entering high school was a defining moment.  I was told by many individuals that I would make some of the best memories of my life, and that the next four years would fly by. Nearly five years later I must say, my friends and relatives were correct.

I am now a freshman at MU and in less than four years I will graduate with my bachelor's degree. This means I will be out in the real world! This summer, I am getting a taste of life beyond college. I am beginning an internship for a prestigious agriculture organization. I will be wearing professional clothes and working "nine to five." No longer am I spending my summers showing livestock, hanging out on the lake or reading in my hammock.

I am ecstatic for this opportunity and cannot wait to see what the future holds. Already I believe that the past year has gone by in the blink of an eye.

This year has brought lifelong friendships. Some individuals I had met through organizations in high school such as FFA, FBLA and 4-H and was lucky enough to become reacquainted with them. Others, I met because of our mutual goals and interests.

I am blessed to be a part of the CAFRN department of MU. All of the faculty and students have been welcoming and assisted me in my first year. By being a part of CAFNR I have acquired a second family, filled with professors and advisors. These individuals have expanded my academic knowledge and helped me redefine career goals.

I have had the opportunity to become involved with many aspects of MU. I was selected by my peers to represent the Science and Agriculture Journalism department in CAFNR Student Council where I was also elected Reporter. I serve leadership positions in MU Farm Bureau and Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow and serve on various boards and events.

MU has opened countless doors for me. From leadership conferences to internships. By the end of May I will have visited four countries since my time at college. I can only hope to do the same next year as a sophomore!

Sure, there have been a few bumps in the road. If the past year has taught me anything it is that people come into your life for a reason, but they also leave for a reason. Often, that reason turns out to be of far greater significance than their presence ever was. You do not change when you go to college, you simply become who you were destined to be. I am following my passions in life more now than I have ever before.

And you know what...I wouldn't take back a moment of this year.
Nearly a year ago, I began freshman year with the traditional MU Tiger Walk by our historic columns. Here I am with one of my best friends, Claire Jones, whom I met through the Future Business Leaders of America in high school. Being fellow tigers has only made us closer this year! 






No comments:

Post a Comment