Where will agriculture take you?

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Getting Lost in the Corn


Shryocks Farm is located near Columbia, Mo., and offers a uniquely
designed corn maze for visiters to enjoy. It is a fun way to spend a day
in the country with a student group or on a date.


Apple cider, carving pumpkins and corn mazes are some of my most anticipated aspects of Fall! The University of Missouri Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow went to Shryocks Corn Maze for our annual fall social. 

Shryocks is an agribusiness started in 2002 by the Shryock family. This is fifth generation family farm has been in the area since 1889. It has grown to a 15 acre endeavor that delights residents of
Calloway County. 

Each year the corn maze design is custom created through GPS technology by the Shryock's.  The agribusiness also offers hay rides and campfires for groups. Thousands of visitors come to Shryocks each fall to experience a day on the farm and get lost in a cornfield. 

Agribusinesses like Shryocks are becoming increasingly popular
 means for generating extra revenue for farmers.
While I waited for my group to arrive to explore the 2012 SEC, South Eastern Conference, themed maze, I watched the infamous Shryocks gum ball machine in action. This contraption is a engineering masterpiece. Located in the Shryocks infamous red barn, I saw young children put a quarter in the machine and watch their gum balls fall from the top of the barn to travel through pipes and wires and reach their outstretched hands. 

I soon caught their enthusiasm, and began to prepare my own adventure through 15 acres of corn. Rest assured, I survived to tell my tale.

The 2012 SEC theme maze,
photo courtesy of Bishop Sky Cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment