Where will agriculture take you?

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Professional Development Conference, Lubbock Texas


Welcome to Texas! 


I recently visited the Lone Star state where I learned how to Texas two-step, sampled fried cuisine and experienced southern hospitality. I was serving as a delegate to the Agriculture Communicators of Tomorrow national Professional Development Conference.


After a bumpy plane ride, I and four other University of Missouri ACT members arrived at Texas Tech University in Lubbock Texas. My fellow MU students were all seniors, they had impressive resumes and would soon be in the workforce. Most freshman might have been intimidated with such traveling companions. However, I have been on numerous trips where I was the youngest individual or the “underdog.” In life, it is a position I actually do not mind being in.  Being in this position allows you to experience conferences or leadership positions with a different perspective.

Such was my mindset as I began PDC. At the conference industry leaders spoke about issues directly related to agriculture communications and journalism. It was great to have a conference directed at my degree and career path within the agriculture industry.

In particular, our impressive speakers included, Wyman Meinzer the official Texas state photographer. He gave photojournalism advice to students and showcased his latest projects, which were breathtaking. He has covered some of the largest ranches in Texas and he prides himself on not using Photoshop.

Tours stops for PDC included the American Cotton Growers denim mill at Littlefield, TX. It produces denim for top American jean brands like Abercrombie, Wrangler and several high fashion European companies. I also toured the largest premium winery in Texas, Llano Estacado Winery, has been in operation since 1976. Having toured Missouri wineries, it was interesting to compare the two.
At the Llano Estacado Winery storeroom.  

Our keynote speaker, Rodger Wasson, of the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance, gave a fantastic presentation. He had spoken at a conference I had attended last fall, but still brought several key industry points to light. Wasson highlighted the need for proactive conversations with consumers and went in-depth about how to make those conversations happen.

Overall, the ACT conference was a great opportunity and I was glad to attend as a freshman. I am excited for the possibilities that ACT has in store for me. Next summer, my calendar will be marked for the national Agriculture Media Summit. Here, I hope to run for national ACT office, network with industry leaders and discover more opportunities in the science and agriculture journalism career pathway. I look forward to the next PDC Conferences in 2013 at the University of Arkansas! 

Delegates from the University of Missouri showcasing our MU pride on university spirit night. Pictured right to left: Breanne Brammer, Sarah Woodhurst, Carah Hart and Jessica England.

No comments:

Post a Comment