Where will agriculture take you?

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Off to Great Places

“Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!”

No matter how many birthdays may pass, Dr. Seuss books will always offer inspiration. I read Seuss books throughout my childhood and received “Oh the Places You’ll Go” as a gift from my parents on my high school gradation day.

In high school, I was very fortunate in my traveling opportunities. I won essay contests, obtained leadership positions and attended conferences in order to see parts of the United States I had not been to. I also worked a part time job throughout high school and usually used my savings to purchase plane tickets.  

But, I honestly did not know how far I would be able to travel in college. College students are notorious for being constantly broke and limiting their activities to campus. Nonetheless, I came to college with a travel goal list that included participating in study abroad and collegiate traveling programs.  

Thus far, I have been able to continue traveling in college, even on a lower budget. Scholarships, paychecks and yes, my parents, have made this a possibility. Now, I have also realized that there are not just 50 states to see, there is the entire globe. There are countless countries I want to visit, culture events I want to be a part of and moments I want to photograph.

And this week, I received the news of a lifetime: I was selected to go to Southeast Asia this May through an agriculture leadership program, ICAL.

You just might be surprised at the places you will go.

You are never too old for Dr. Seuss. 

Graduation day was one I had looked forward to since I was a kindergardener. I was a "planner" even back then. I have always dreamed about the future and am so excited to discover what life has in store. Last May, nearly one year ago, I ended the high school chapter of my life. Since then, the university chapter has been brimming with opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment