Where will agriculture take you?

Saturday, March 17, 2012

International Collegiate Agriculture Program

I have always loved wearing my corduroy blue FFA jacket as a member of the National FFA Organization. But, I never knew my passion for FFA and agriculture could take me to Asia.

This May, I will journey to Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore as an ICAL, International Collegiate Agriculture Leadership Program, delegate. ICAL is through FFA and selects 12 college students in the nation each year to be a part of the program.

I am honored to have been selected as a delegate for the 2012 ICAL program. I will be touring international agriculture facilities in three countries in Southeast Asia and networking with college agriculturists from different universities across the country.

I had filled out the application this winter, and was hopeful-but nothing more. As a freshman, I did not think I had a great chance. So when I received a phone call at the University of Missouri Starbucks, announcing my selection, I almost spilled my Frappuccino in joy.

Soon, I began receiving emails, information and schedules for the impending trip. (Good thing I already had my passport!) I will be traveling for around 2 ½ weeks, before beginning my summer internship. I fly to San Francisco for training and then am on an international flight to Hong Kong. Then, weeks of global agriculture educational and first-hand experience will be before me!

I feel truly blessed to be seeing a part of the world I never anticipated visiting at this stage in my life. In the words of a friend, “Maybe you will learn to eat rice and beans now.” We shall see! 

The last time I wore my FFA jacket was at the Gallatin FFA Chapter Banquet. I celebrated four years of dedication to agriculture and the National FFA Organization. A highlight of the night was being named Star Farmer, just as my dad was when he was in FFA. Now, my FFA journey continues to Asia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment