Where will agriculture take you?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Arkansas Professional Development Conference

As a national officer in the Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, I got to attend the annual ACT Professional Development Conference. Each year, ACT chapters take turns hosting the event at their university campus. The 2013 PDC was held at the University of Arkansas where six Mizzou ACT members made the 6 hour road trip to Fayetteville. We experienced the charm of the Ozarks and had an overall great weekend! 

During PDC I had several duties as an officer including conducting the national meeting and announcing the 2013 Critique & Contest, a writing competition for ACT members. As a part of the conference program, I toured the first Wal-Mart store and museum. In addition, I took a tour of  the "U of A" Law School. The school is nationally recognized as having the premiere agricultural law, LL.M. program. All of the tours made me feel extremely welcomed in Razorback territory! 

This year's workshops featured subjects from wildlife photography to crises communications. A personal highlight was to visit with the photographer for Arkansas Farm Bureau. National conferences are a wonderful opportunity to visit a new part of the country, see friends that live across the country and to gain career insight through speakers and workshops. I enjoy making new friends and PDC was no exception. I look forward to seeing everyone at future ACT events, especially the Ag Media Summit in New York this summer and the 2014 PDC at Kansas State! 
Mizzou ACT delegates Courtney Leeper, Kari Weist and I enjoy ice cream at the original Wal-Mart 5 and dime. 

Courtney Leeper and I at the historic main street square in Bentonville, Arkansas. 

Before a tour of the Wal-Mart museum. 

Courtney Leeper, Kari Weist and I spend an afternoon at the Crystal Bridges art museum which was founded by Wal-Mart heiress Alice Walton. 

The ACT National Vice Presidents tour the University of Arkansas! Jennifer Ray, representing Cal Poly, and I stand on the alumni walkway. 

I toured the U of A Law School which is nationally recognized as the premiere agricultural law institute. Go Razorbacks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment