Where will agriculture take you?

Monday, March 11, 2013

Adventure to Africa

I was once told that the best opportunities in life are the ones that are unplanned and after exciting events from the past week, I could not agree more. ICM elected to sponsor me as the 2013 international agriculture development intern to Mozambique, Africa. ICM is a biofuels technology company dedicated to providing clean energy opportunities to customers globally. They are a leading job source of Northwest Missouri with a location near my hometown in St. Joseph, Mo. ICM provides process technology to 102 facilities and has a production capacity of nearly 6.8 billion gallons of annual ethanol production! My endeavor is made possible through the efforts of ICM employees whose Christmas donations fund this experience.

ICM partners with Orphans Unlimited to aid philanthropic efforts abroad as ICM executives recognize the importance of giving back. My intern responsibilities include assisting widows and orphans at Orphans Unlimited. I am responsible for everything from managing buying practices to leading children's Bible studies. This is an opportunity to utilize the knowledge I have gained in my agricultural economics and development classes first-hand.

Thomas Edison stated, “ Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” I recognize that my summer experience at Orphans Unlimited will be filled with many long hours and will be a summer of dedication. The organization's founder, Brenda Lange, has said that missions are actually spelled "W-O-R-K." My rural roots and farming background instilled the importance of a diligent work ethic at a young age. Thus, I am anxious to begin my work in Africa and offer assistance to Orphans Unlimited endeavors.

My summer adventure begins May 13 and I return to the U.S. July 30. This experience has shown overwhelming support from both my family and friends but also the University of Missouri. My professors have been both encouraging and accommodating of this once-in-a-lifetime experience. In Africa, I am most excited to work with the children, aid local women with their goat herds and will of course be looking for photographic opportunities.

I have friends who have traveled to the African countries of Tanzania, Rwanda and Ghana. I asked their advice after learning I was accepted to the internship position. All expressed that they had life changing experiences abroad and believe I will "fall in love" with Africa. I am excited for my summer experience in Mozambique and consider myself blessed to be offered this opportunity. Thank you ICM and Orphans Unlimited for selecting me as the 2013 international agriculture development intern. In 10 weeks I will be on a plane bound for Mozambique, Africa!

I will spend my summer in Mozimbique, Africa assisting in international agriculture development efforts through ICM and Orphans Unlimited.


Mozambique is located on the coast of South Africa and is nearly double the size of California. The country was once a Portuguese colony and is currently home to around 21 million people. 

1 comment:

  1. You may be eligible for a new government sponsored solar energy program.
    Click here to find out if you qualify now!

    ReplyDelete