Where will agriculture take you?

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Just 'Winging' it in Buffalo!

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." -Helen Keller 

Visiting New York City is one of the many items on my travel bucket list and mainly it is just so I can stand at the iconic "The Kiss" spot. So when the 2013 Ag Media Summit location was announced as New York, I was disappointed to learn it would not be held in the big apple but instead in Buffalo. But, during my week long stay in Buffalo I quickly appreciated the charm- and food- of this eastern city!

Buffalo wings are simply one of a kind in this city! I do not think I can possibly eat Buffalo Wild Wings again after the Anchor Bar wings. (This restaurant claims to be the home of the wings.) As a midwest girl, my favorite aspect of Buffalo was the lack of humidity along with the eclectic charm The weather had a permanent spring day like feel which made walking for a Starbucks fix a breeze.

My trip to Buffalo marks the farthest east I have traveled within the U.S. I have always wanted to take a New England road trip. (From the Main lighthouses to Hershey, Pennsylvania!) I believe seeing Victorian houses, civil war sites and early U.S. cities during the fall would be spectacular. And let's be honest I am kind of obsessed with the history of Salem, Massachusetts!

In Missouri we are not in proximity to beaches or another country. While in Buffalo, I did not realize how close I was to the boarder until I started seeing Canadian flags on every flag pole! A 30 minute car ride took my group of national ACT officers to Niagara Falls which marks the U.S./Canadian boarder. Alas, due to conference commitments I did not have time to venture into Canada. (I could have enjoyed the maple syrup and said 'aye Canada!')

For $2 I took a Niagara Park trolly tour which all of my group members agreed was a bargain. The trolly takes you to Horseshoe Falls, the infamous waterfall on the U.S. side which is featured in many movies.  Up close they were just as impressive as on the big screen! A female school teacher was actually the first to survive in a barrel over the falls in the 1800's. Others have survived accidental falls over the waterfall. I am not a fan of heights so I was sure to stay a safe distance from the guard railing. (I would be very cautious brining small children to Niagara Falls!) I enjoy whitewater rafting but after seeing the Canadian rapids I will not be venturing on those! There is also the Maiden of the Mist boating tour which takes you directly under the falls. Visitors are required to wear ponchos because they get so soaked from the mist!

When I finally make it to NYC I hope to once again visit the Niagara! It is one of the great natural wonders of the U.S. (Pike's Peak in Colorado is another great site I recommend. Yellowstone is also on my bucket list which is a potential vacation spot!) I would highly recommend Buffalo as a family destination. Disclaimer: I did visit Niagara Falls during a lull in visiting season so I did not have to push through fanny pack wearing tourists to get my snapshots of the falls. The majestic beauty of this natural phenomena is priceless and totally worth a trip east.

Traveling Aggie's top picks of Buffalo:

-Niagara Falls
-The Anchor Bar buffalo wings
-Jack's, a downtown eatery, sweet potato fries. Total YUM.
-The Chocolate Bar with a menu ranging from chocolate pasta to chocolate martinis
-Perfect 70 degree weather with minimal humidity

Eating at the Anchor Bar, a famous buffalo wings restaurant, with the national ACT officer team.

Standing at the 'official' marker for the U.S./Canadian divide. The boarder patrol stations were just around the corner. 

The Niagara Falls garden is worth a walk through. Shaped like the Great Lakes (which dump into the falls) the garden is filled with flowers like these Black Eyed Suzanne's.  

Exploring downtown Buffalo by the convention center for the 2013 Ag Media Summit. 

A Maiden of the Mist tour boat is following the rainbow! 

10 comments:

  1. iconic is one of the most romantic places in the world so that's why it's called "The Kiss" spot.Car park Luton

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the pictures are beautiful. You had a wonderful trip. valet parking luton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the view o Niagara falls. It seems you have an awesome trip.
    gatwick chauffeur parking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the view o Niagara falls. It seems you have an awesome trip.
    gatwick chauffeur parking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been there once during USA tour and it was a great experience. They must have to add the like Heathrow meet and greet ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plan your weekend travel with your family and book with reliable parking company for hassle free journey. Airport Parking Luton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not call it just winging. It seems to me you are having a lot of fun.
    meet and greet Gatwick
    secure airport parking Gatwick

    ReplyDelete